The Last Three Weeks

July 22, 2014
As always, this last holiday flew by far too quickly for my liking. I had just over three weeks of holiday. There were lazy winter days that saw me cuddled up in bed with a book, as well as some warmer and busier ones spent with friends and family.

I arrived home late on the Thursday night and spent the Friday unpacking, catching up with my parents and loving on little Liam. On the Saturday we traveled up to Hilton for the last Hilton/MHS rugby game of the season. I was grateful that I was home for this as I haven't been able to watch Nic play a match in over a year. The Hilton Michaelhouse is kind of a big deal (I don't understand all the hype over school-boy rugby, but dare I mention that out loud) to many people, but for our family, it's special because my Dad was really involved in rugby when he was at Hilton. For him to have his eldest son playing on the same fields and in the same position that he did 25 years ago while his youngest son wears a tiny replica of his jersey is heartwarming.

Many of my friends from school have brothers at either Hilton or MHS and so we decided to meet up on the day and go out together that night. I hadn't seen some of the girls since leaving school at the end of 2012 and so you can imagine how happy my heart was. For many of them, it was their first time meeting Liam - they obviously loved him because he's the best, duh. It was really great to catch up with the girls. Naturally, we've all changed and grown since leaving school and going our separate ways and so in some ways being with them again was different, but in so many more ways we just fell back into our old, natural ways and I was grateful to have that special time with them.




I spent the next couple of days at Emma's house. We did quite a bit of exploring along the Midlands Meander and attended a braai with some of her family friends before our time together was cut short by a nasty tummy bug that resulted in Em spending the next few days in bed. Despite the unexpected ending, our time together was wonderful as always.

Chocolate tasting and candle dipping at Piggly Wiggly made for an afternoon well spent.


I was excited to get back home, having only spent a day with the family before heading off to the rugby and Em's. I returned home to a bit of a tense atmosphere; Bridgitt had crashed my Dad's bakkie the day before and so she wasn't feeling the greatest and neither was my Dad. Bridgitt and I don't have the best relationship - it's something we're constantly working on. This holiday she spent a lot of time at home and so for the first time in a while we were able to spend time together and connect again. Things at home quickly settled down and we all fell back into our own little rhythms again.

Our little community holds a festival once a year and I was lucky enough to be home for it this year. The day was filled with pancakes, flea market-like stalls and lots of smiles. Later that night I went to the party that always follows with my aunt and uncle (thanks to blended family dynamics, they're only a few years older than me) - much fun was had until we realised that Ash's jacket had been taken by someone. In the jacket were both the car keys as well as the house keys. The beauty of living in a small farming community such as ours is that everyone knows you and is more than willing to help. Ash, Rhonda, Mary-Rose and I hopped onto the back of the bakkie of a farmer and hitched a very hilarious and freezing ride back home. Thankfully, Clauds is a sweetheart and didn't murder us for waking her at 3am expecting her to sort everything our for Ash and Rhonds. The jacket and keys were returned the next morning and so everything worked out in the end. I'd been feeling down for reasons that require a post of their own and so this night out with such wonderful people was much needed. Sweet new friends and memories were made that I hope to treasure forever.

Mary-Rose, myself and Rhonda.
This holiday I was also motivated go get back into the swing of things fitness wise. I started running daily and by the end of the holiday I had begun to treasure those moments to myself on our beautiful farm. Running on campus will never compare to those stunning farm runs at sunset. I started to notice my body strengthening and my fitness levels improving in such a small time period and I cannot explain what an amazing feeling that is. I'm feeling so inspired and so determined to keep exercising and eating healthily and I can't wait to see some more results!


The rest of the days were spent taking Liam and tiny cousin Chase on strolls on the farm, having dinners with the family, snuggling up in front of the fire place, making delicious soups and soaking up every moment.

The cheese was our apology to him for not being able to find socks in his size. He thought it was rather fabulous.
Love this brother of mine. So grateful he actually agreed to have a photo with me.
Liam quickly made friends with this guy at the Duck Cafe in Underberg

Sweet baby Chase
All in all, it was a really lovely holiday. To spend each day with Liam was incredible and it baffles me how my love for that boy manages to keep multiplying. Saying goodbye to my sweet Happy and Florence was difficult as well. Home is just so lovely. The people are just so wonderful. It's never, ever nice leaving but I'm getting better at it and I've returned to Grahamstown determined, motivated and refreshed.

No comments:

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.