Its Not Just a Stat, These Are Peoples' Lives

April 24, 2014
I read something this morning, and I haven't been able to shake it from my mind. It was a tweet from our Dean of Students.

"Stats for 1st term: 19 pregnancies (14 terminated)."

What is scary is the fact this figure only deals with the number of pregnancies that have been reported to university officials. There is no 'rule' - for want of a better word - stating that a pregnant student is required to report her pregnancy to anyone.
What is scary is that 19 pregnancies were reported in Term 1. Term 1 was only a month and a half long...
What is scary is that this university is tiny. We have 7000-odd students only. You physically cannot leave your room without bumping into at least three people you know.
What is scary is that 19 women had to make life altering decisions last term. 14 of those women chose to end their pregnancies. This is not a for/against abortion post, no. I understand that each situation is unique and relative to it's circumstances - just yesterday I heard about a boy who is returning home this weekend to tell his parents that his girlfriend is pregnant. Only he claims that she's wanted a baby for the entirety of their relationship and he is certain, with all that he is, that she spiked his drinks and raped him on the night of their baby's conception. It sounds ridiculous and perhaps this boy is lying, but the reality is that situations such as these are happening. 

I was not planned. My parents were young and they probably had no idea what they were doing. In fact, I know my mother had no idea what she was doing when she decided to bring me into this world. Because she left - not in the physical sense of the word, but she had priorities other than raising me. My Dad? Ah, he was phenomenal! He is a true hero in every sense of the word and he took responsibility for me and has given me the best of absolutely everything in life. I know what it is like to be a child of young parents - I turned out pretty darn well thanks to my amazing, amazing Dad but unfortunately not every child is blessed enough to have the father that I had.

It just scares me that 19 children were conceived last term, 19 pregnancies were reported - 14 of those were clearly not intended. Why is it so difficult to just practice safe sex and use protection? Rhodes hands about about 4 tonnes of free condoms every week, so how is this still happening?
I do not personally know how difficult it is to raise a child because I have never had to do it. However, I have got younger siblings and I have been by Clauds' side throughout her entire pregnancy with Liam and I have witnessed first hand how difficult it is to raise a baby - now could you imagine doing it at 20 while you're half way through your degree?
 
Before you all jump up and attack me for "being so ignorant and small minded", just know that I'm not ignorant as to what goes on and how these pregnancies come about. I know some of these pregnancies were intended and wanted by some of the girls and even the guys, I know that some of these pregnancies may have been caused by situations out of the girls' control etc, etc, etc. I just can't help but ignore the fact that 14 out of those 19 women felt that they had no other option but to terminate their pregnancy. And that was just in Term 1.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a little sensitive to the situation because of my own upbringing. Am I the only one that's feeling affected by this? Tell me if I'm wrong...


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely horrific!!!! 19 is a huge number, 14 is a HUGE number!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.