{Liam's Birth Story}

November 30, 2013
On the 1st of December, 2012, my Dad and Clauds welcomed into the world their little boy that they had been praying for for a number of years; Liam Patrick. At the age of 18 years and 11 months, I was made a big sister again. I cannot imagine our lives without Liam - I ooze love for that boy and I am so thankful to God for bringing Liam into our lives, even though He made us all wait a good few years!

Clauds and Liam in October
Many of you know that after quite a number of infertility issues, Clauds fell pregnant with Liam only to be diagnosed with pre-eclampsia which resulted in Liam being delivered 2 months early. At birth he weighed just over 1kg. He remained in the NICU for a month and had all of us very worried for a long time. I cannot even begin to imagine what Clauds and my Dad went through throughout those few months leading up to his birth as well as after. They're the strongest people I know. 


And now here we sit, a year later with the happiest curly-haired babe I have ever met and full hearts. I spent the entire month of December at the hospital either looking through the nursery window trying to catch a glimpse of Liam's machines (that was all I could see as I was not allowed to go into the NICU, when he got a bit bigger and stronger Clauds was allowed to bring him to the window and I was allowed to get a look at him) or sitting in the hospital coffee shop. I had a lot of time to think and to write and I thought I would share some of what I wrote during those days with you. In bold is what I wrote last year and my comments looking back on what I wrote appear in italics...


It is Saturday the 1st of December 2012, 6:32am. As I sit in the Medi Clinic Waiting Room craving a cup of coffee, Dad and Clauds sit in Ward A1 – Maternity, counting down the minutes until Clauds is wheeled into theatre to deliver little Liam Patrick. I can only imagine that Clauds is stubbornly rattling off her many worries while Dad lovingly, although not without exasperation says; “Love, please. The doctors have everything under control. Everything will be fine.”


Yesterday was a very long day and I am expecting today to be even longer. I was at Sarah’s house over the last few days while we had our final assembly as well as to celebrate Sarah’s brother’s 21st. I had spoken to Clauds over the phone on Thursday, she had explained that she had been admitted to hospital due to her very high blood pressure and we could expect Liam to arrive via Caesarean within the next few days. I immediately asked whether I should come home or not, Clauds then explained that I should just stay with my friends and have a good time as there was no need to worry. My nerves were then settled after hearing how calm Clauds was. I then went on to celebrate the 21st and had a lovely time.  - Everything had happened so quickly over the course of the last few days. I had just finished writing Matric and I went home with Sarah after our school's final assembly so I was filled with excitement with everything that was going on in my life, the last thing I was expecting was a phone call to tell me my brother would soon be here. I remember I was in the bath getting ready for Andrew's 21st when Sarah walked in and handed me the phone. Clauds sounded so calm but looking back, I know she was terrified, but at the same time, so strong. This was on November 29th.


The next morning was Nic’s 14th birthday. I woke up and wished him and then called Dad to find out how everything was going and asked when I could be picked up from Sarah’s. Dad was calm but explained that Liam would most probably come today (30th of November). I immediately hit a panic as I was far away from everyone and I just wanted to be there for both Dad and Clauds. I then explained everything to Sarah and her mom drove me to the hospital immediately. I was so happy to be with my parents and to see that everything was in fact under control. Sarah and her mom said goodbye and went and did some shopping. Later they returned and dropped of an adorable Eyeore teddy for Liam and a birthday present for Nic. Her family is so special and I feel so blessed to have a friend like her.- I really am lucky to have such supportive friends. Sarah and her mom were a day away from leaving for Italy when this all went down but they happily drove me to the hospital and helped out where they could without even batting an eye. They were in Italy for about a month and as soon as they got back home they came to the hospital to see us and the little guy. I am beyond blessed to have Se in my life.


It was a bit tense at the hospital as we were unsure of whether Liam would be delivered that day or not – we were waiting on the OBGYN to let us know what his final decision was. It was Nic’s birthday and we were not sure if we were going to get a chance to see him as he was still at school having his prize giving ceremony.


The lady in the bed next to Clauds was wheeled into theatre and delivered her baby girl, Olivia Page, via C-Section. The whole process, which only took about an hour from the time the mother left the ward until she was returned made the reality that Liam would be here within hours all that more real.


We were then informed that Clauds’ C-section had been booked for later that day (30th November), at 3pm. We were anxious as well as excited. Mops, Gogo, Ash and Rhonda were all on their way while Pops was going to come down after Courtney’s final prize giving. Cindy (my biological mom) then dropped Nic, Bridge and Matt (Matt is my sister's boyfriend) off and this gave us a chance to see Nic on his birthday. He was upset as he couldn’t spend time with us but after we gave him his presents and got to spend time with him his mood changed for the better. He then exclaimed that he wouldn’t like it if he had to share his birthday with Liam.
 
My brother, Nic and sister, Bridgitt in the wheel chair with Bridgitt's boyfriend, Matt pushing them.

As the family moved between the coffee shop and the ward we were told that a machine that was needed for Liam was borrowed by another hospital in town and so they would have to delay the delivery until the next morning at 8am.  Everyone then calmed down and returned to their natural, crazy selves. 


The day then went on with us visiting Clauds in her ward and spending time in the coffee shop. I went with Ash and Rhonds (my aunt and uncle) to do some shopping and to visit a friend of theirs. Andrea and Bryce (family friends) then joined us at Ash and Rhonda’s friends’ home. Andrea was very sweet and had gone shopping for a huge bag load of things that little Liam might need while in NICU. Clauds was so grateful as were not sure of what was needed for a baby who is so premature.- turns out he didn't wear anything for the first month of his life as he was too small to fit into anything. But those tiny little nappies, oh my goodness, they were as big as my palm and yet they were still far too big for him.


You could tell that it had been a long day from sentences such as the following; “Well by half past out he will be eight tomorrow.” – Me. And while ordering Clauds chicken nuggets at McDonalds, Rhonda says “12 plus 9 is 3, so get her 3.”
 We then returned to the hospital that would become so familiar to us over the next few months for one last visit of the day. We then went home at about 10pm to get a good night’s sleep.
And that was yesterday, lets fast forward to today...

Dad woke me up early this morning and the two of us headed to the hospital together. Nic and Bridge and Matt are with my mom. 

And so here I sit in the waiting room with less than an hour to go until my little brother is born. Dad and Clauds have walked in and out of this waiting room a number of times – cabin fever perhaps? Dad has taken great pleasure in smoking next to the “no smoking” sign! Clauds continues to ask how everything is going while Dad continues to tell her to stop worrying about everyone else and to start worrying about herself. 


In this waiting room there are two couches, exactly the same, opposite each other. Clauds walks in and asks why I am sitting on Couch 1, I explain that there is a plug point near the one I am on. Clauds then says that Couch 2 is near a plug point too and that I should move to that one. Dad then asks why, pointing out that they are exactly the same. Clauds then says that she doesn’t know, it’s just that the other one looks much more comfortable than the other. Dad then lets out a sigh and again points out that they are exactly the same, however, Clauds is still not convinced!

Dad and Clauds carry on chatting to me in the waiting room and then say that they must go back to the ward but they will see me later. I say goodbye and continue typing as they leave the room. About 30 seconds later Clauds is back again trying to convince me, one last time, to move to the other couch. In my efforts to keep the pregnant lady happy, I eventually move to Couch 2. I can confidently conclude, that the two couches are indeed exactly that same (don’t tell Clauds). - looking back, I am glad I moved to Couch 2 as from that couch I could see the doors of the theatre and I was able to share one last knowing look with Clauds as she was wheeled in. Maybe she knew this and this is why she was so persistent that I move there? Goodness I love that woman.
 
This is couch 1, the couch I was originally on.

My view from couch 2 - that big door through the sliding door are the theatre doors so I could see Clauds go in. Just on the other side of the glass sliding door is where I met Liam for the first time.
As I sit here and think about that fact that this little boy will be here in less than an hour, my heart is filled with love and excitement. I wouldn’t change a thing about our family situation – we have been so, so incredibly blessed and the amount of love we have for each other is incredible.


*** - these babies indicate the passing of time. So Liam was born somewhere between the last paragraph and the following one.


Ash, Rhonda and I sat in the waiting room and chatted for a while until eventually Matt, Bridge and Gogo arrived. We saw Clauds being wheeled into theatre and she gave us a nervous little wave. We continued to wait but we were all so excited! Rhonda walked outside, barefoot, and attempted to bum a cigarette from some coloured lady standing outside. The lady told her she didn’t have another one but she could share the one she had half smoked – much to mine and Ash’s horror, Rhonda happily puffed on this poor woman’s ciggie. Sorry about your last smoke, lady, but welcome to our family!

The Sister told all of us in the waiting room that we would be able to see little Liam as she wheeled him past the waiting room en route to the NICU. As the theatre doors opened we all rushed to meet the little man. As he was doing so well, the Sister was able to stop for a minute and let us get a proper little look at him. I have never seen something so perfect in all my life! The doctors had previously told us that he wouldn’t be able to cry, but he gave us a couple of wails, so that was brilliant! As the Sister wheeled him away I realised that that would probably be the last time I’d see him in 6 weeks – my heart broke, but I just want him to be healthy, and if that means not seeing him then I’m fine with that! - we weren't allowed to touch him or get too near to him and this little peek only lasted about 30 seconds, but oh my goodness those 30 seconds were so special.

This is us meeting Liam in the passage for the first time. Such special 30 seconds. This was also the last time I would be seeing him without a glass window in between us for a month.
Only hours old.
Holding onto Dad's thumb.

He was a couple of weeks old here.

Mops and Pops then arrived with Courts and Granny Shirley. Pops was a bit emotional and I could just see how proud he was! We then saw Dad and he showed us some photos of the birth and some videos. I still cannot believe how tiny he is! The doctor said that he was happy with how Liam was doing and that he didn’t even need to put him on a ventilator – I just hope he can stay strong and healthy!


Strong and healthy he did indeed stay! Happy birthday Snuggle Pants, Shanny loves you more than she thought would ever be possible!
xxx


3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Liam! And what a special post sharing such a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness he is such a handsome boy. I think child birth really is a miracle, it honestly blows my mind that someone else suddenly comes into the room but the door never opened.
    This is such a beautiful post xo

    Other Infinities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Child birth really is such a miracle, I think it is amazing how another person comes into the room but the door didn't open.
    This is such a beautiful post x

    Other Infinities

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.