Ash and Roo say "I Do"

October 06, 2013
I am at a place in my life right now where nothing exciting really seems to be happening. At least, here in Grahamstown nothing really seems to be going on. I know this is just a season and it will pass as the end of the year draws near and First Year begins wrapping up. 

Truthfully, I'm quite grateful for the lack of activity that has been going on in my life lately. Back home, things are always running at a gazillion miles an hour. That comes from having a really large blended family with a million colourful personalities. There is never a dull moment when I'm surrounded by them and so to be here, 900km's away from home in a small University town with absolutely no craziness going on is all very new to me...

So here's a bit of what is going on (or not going on) in my quite life at the moment...

As I type this, my whole family is over at my Mops and Pops' house (Mops and Pops are my grandparents and Clauds' parents) witnessing my aunt and uncle say their "I Do's". 
Pretty big deal right? Pretty exciting, hey? I'd say so... Although that's happening there, and I am over here.
I was going to fly back home for the wedding but I had a lot of academic commitments that I just couldn't get away from this weekend. 
My immediate family on Clauds' side. This photo is a few years, hence the absence of Liam.
I wish I was there with that crazy, crazy family of mine but I spoke to them all on the phone this morning and naturally, it was chaos - but only the best kind! 
It kind of went a little like this... 
Me standing in Emma's room holding the phone to my ear, talking to Clauds. 
Clauds hands the phone around to each family member. 
We all say our bit. 
Phone gets handed back to Clauds. 
Someone screams from the background "tell Shan I love her!". 
I reply that I love them too. 
Clauds relays the message. 
Some one else yells the same thing; "oh, is that Shan? Tell her we love her!" 
Then  everyone chimes in... 
"Me too!" 
"and me! Tell her me!" 
Pops then tells Clauds to tell me that next time we have a wedding, it'll be my turn. 
"Grrrrreat," I say.
"All that's missing is a willing groom," I say. 
Then they all start stating their conditions; "Yes, but he has to have a game farm!"..."and a land cruiser to drive around the game farm with!"... "He's gotta be willing to let me shoot a kudu, Shan!"...
All of a sudden everyone realises that they actually have a real-life wedding going on that they kind of have to get back to, so we say good bye and tell each other that we love each other once more.

And it is with that that I am again reminded how utterly blessed I am to have been born and then later married (thanks Dad, you picked a good one ;) ) into such a crazy and adoring family. My heart is filled with love. So much so that it's not even sad that I'm 900km's away anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your family - it reminds me so much of my own. Big and fun and loud and crazy and full of LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums them up pretty darn accurately ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.