What Makes Me, Me.

September 09, 2013


A couple of weeks ago I mentioned Jenni’s Blogtember challenge and I am so excited to share my thoughts on the challenge’s very first topic, “Describe where or what you come from.” 
 You would have noticed that I’m a few days late on posting the challenge’s topics but I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my family while I was home over the last few days. I hope you’ll forgive me for my absence lately! I am so looking forward to being back on my little blog and to be catching up with some Blogtember posts and with all of you lovely readers!

Where and what we come from really does shape us into the people we are today, doesn’t it? I know that I wouldn’t be half the woman that I am today if it weren’t for my upbringing, my hometown and most importantly, my family and my faith.
I was 9 when my parents divorced. I can honestly say their divorce was the best thing they could have done for us kids. Their divorce allowed each family member to finally find happiness and I truly believe God knew what he was doing in that situation. Both my parents remarried and started new lives full of happiness with the most amazing people. I get on so well with both my step-dad and step-mom and I’m so grateful to the Lord for placing these amazing people in my parents’ and my life.
After the divorce my relationship with my mom crumbled. I made the decision to move in permanently with my Dad and step-mom; Clauds. My relationship with my mom – or lack thereof – has caused me so much heartache. I had to make the decision to cut myself off from her for my own self-preservation. Does everyone understand why things between my mom and I work the way they work? No. No they don’t. It’s tough to have to answer to why I chose to do what I did, but those closest to me and those that love me support my decision even if they don’t always understand it. I will always love my mom and I wish her nothing but peace and happiness. My relationship with my mom has shaped me in many ways. It has taught me that sometimes it is necessary to put yourself first. It has taught me how make decisions with others in mind and it has shown me exactly the type of mother I will one day be. I cannot wait to have my own children and to love them and treat them the way they deserve to be treated - the way my mom never treated me.
Myself, my Dad and my little brother and sister in 2000.
Clauds and my Dad have raised me in a way that allows me to look in the mirror and really be proud of the person that I am and the choices and decisions I have made. They taught me how to become my own person and stand in that and remain completely true to myself no matter what. They have so much love to give and I couldn’t ask for two better parents.

My hometown will always have a special place in my heart. I recently wrote this post about why I won’t remain living in my hometown when I’m older and I think that reading the post will truly give you a sense of the kind of town it is. I believe it is easy to see the influence that my hometown has had on me through that post. I sometimes feel that living in such a small town caused me to be very sheltered from the big, bad world and as I’m going through Varsity my eyes really are being opened.

My faith and my belief in Jesus influences me daily. I don’t know where I would be without the Lord. I turn to Him with everything that I am experiencing and knowing that He is in control of everything really is so comforting. He gives me a sense of direction and I fully believe that my faith, my life experiences and my family have caused me to become who I am today. 
It hasn’t all been pleasant, but God knows that I wouldn’t change a second of it!

7 comments:

  1. Wow thank you for sharing this, I'm sure a lot of people have questioned your decision to live with your dad and Clauds. In my experience, moms aren't always automatically better parents than dads, and it is important to consider personality types/interests and hobbies/values and habits when deciding whether a child should live with mom or dad. I commend you for following your heart and making what I'm sure what a tough decision at a young age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I completely agree with you - dads are awesome too ;)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, well written post. I understand the need for self preservation. I have a very good friend who limits her time with both parents and is working to make the changes which she needs. Well done and I know you will make a fabulous mother!
    Missy x

    http://takeallchances.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words and for getting in touch! :) I'll be sure to give your blog a visit x

      Delete
  3. You're very right here. Thanks for sharing a bit of your story! The things that happen to us, good or bad, play a major role in shaping who we become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post!

    http://namusnarratives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.