Taking Comfort In The Little Things

Source
Blogtember Day 20 - "React to this term: comfort."

People find comfort in their own unique ways and these are just some of the ways that I was comforted/am comforted both when I was growing up and today...

My gran (known to her grandchildren as "Gogo" - the Zulu word for 'gran') lives in her little house about 200m from our house. She has been around my entire life and it has been wonderful for her to be so close to us. When I was little my brother, sister and I would often spend nights over at her house. We would say grace and all eat dinner together and maybe have a cup of tea and some milk tart for pudding. We would then all sit in the lounge doing our own little activities. Gogs would often be watching the Antiques Roadshow, I would be reading a magazine or looking at family photos and my brother and sister would be playing various games together. We would then hop into our beds and all say our prayers together which was followed by Gogs reading us a story from this one particular book that she has had since she was a child. In the morning we would wake up, run through to her room, hop into bed with her and snuggle up as she chatted to us over tea and a bible story. It has been a long time since any of this happened and since then my relationship with my Gogs has definitely changed somewhat as I have grown older and become more of my own person. I will always look back on times such as these nights spent at Gogo's and remember how comforted I felt.

Being the close family that we are, we have frequent family dinners or lunches. Our house is bursting with love, chatter and laughter during these get togethers. Sitting at our massive dining room table looking around at my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents and realizing that this is what family is about while passing the gravy to someone is where I feel most comforted. It is in these moments that I am certain over the fact that seasons may come and go just as relationships and friends do, but the Leahy-Smith family will always adore and support me. Now that's comfort.

One of the last things that I find comfort in is routine and habit. I am an organized person (admittedly, not always) and I really like to be in control of things. You know those sometimes annoying people that would rather do 100 tasks by themselves just to ensure that they're done properly? Yup, that's me... This isn't always a good quality that works in my favor, but it's me and I'm learning how to let go a bit and realize that I cannot control everything. I feel so much more at ease and comforted when I am on top of things, my to-do list is scratched out because the tasks have been completed and when I can hop into bed at night knowing that everything that needs preparing for tomorrow has been taken care of. I will often go as far as laying out my outfit for the next day before I get into bed - in my mind, the less I have to worry about the next day, the better. Organization is extremely comforting to me.

What are some of the ways that you are comforted? Who or what brings you that comfort? Drop me a comment and let me know, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.