A Hunter's Stew Post

On Sunday nights back at home we do this little thing that Clauds likes to call Hunter's Stew for dinner. No body really feels like cooking or preparing anything major for dinner on Sunday nights and so each family member is left to their own devices and makes their way into our kitchen and "hunts" in the fridge and grocery cupboard for something to eat - hence the name, Hunter's Stew. I usually settle for French toast or scrambled eggs, nine times out of ten Nic will head for the 2-minute noodles, Clauds will do a smorgasbord of cheese and biscuits and Dad, well Dad kind of just throws whatever onto a plate and he's happy as can be. There is a point to this little story because you see, this post is kind of like a Sunday night Hunter's Stew in our household; it has a little bit of everything! So I apologise for the lack of direction for this post, but just bare with me, won't you? Here's a little bit of what's been happening in my life lately, a few So Whats! and a "hello" to everyone that happens to be new 'round here.

Lets Call This One So What! Wednesday
I was going to do my usual So What! Wednesday post but then I realised that I don't really have much to say So What! to today (trying to make this week a positive one over here) other than this:
So What if I'm partaking in this link up and the lovely host, Shannon (awesome name, just by the way) most definitely isn't running it this week because she's probably in labor as I type this!!!  How exciting? Oh my word, I love babies! So What if I'm writing this post at 2am on Wednesday morning when I have a 7:30am lecture later on today. I have been trying to get to sleep since 10:30pm. I've spent the last few hours tossing and turning and getting more and more frustrated with myself for not being able to fall asleep and it's annoying. Tips on how to beat insomnia, anyone? And lastly, So What if I'm annoyed about the fact that there is no water in Grahamstown and So What if I keep going on about it? Wouldn't you be just as frustrated if your entire town had been out of water for the last two weeks? I do have to admit that our Res has been blessed enough to have had water up until yesterday morning but 7000 students all living and functioning in such close proximity to one another and not even being able to have access to a flushing toilet is not fun at all. I'm sorry if this was an over-share, but this is what I have to deal with right now.

Lets Call This One A Serious Bout of Man Flu
Has anyone ever noticed how when men get sick (even if it is just a sniffle) their whole world comes crashing down? I think we as women know that when we get sick, we cannot sit back and feel sorry for ourselves forever, life has to go on! Especially for those of you who are moms and those of you who work. When the men in my life get the flu, they gets a serious case of man flu - no one has ever been as sick as them and no one ever will. It's all rather dramatic and I had to witness another case of the man flu this morning. My oldest and dearest friend, Dillyn is slightly gravely ill. Dill lives on a farm very near to ours and I have known him forever and I guess this is why he feels that it's fine to wake me up in the early hours of the morning for reasons of no importance at all. Yesterday morning was one of those reasons. Dillyn was up early for work and I was sleeping in until lectures started. My phone (Emma came to the rescue with a temporary one after my original one took a dip in the sea) then started buzzing with messages from Dill, letting me know he was vomiting pretty badly and wasn't feeling well at all. I was naturally concerned as he's one of my best friends. I offered my advice, Googled things that would ease the symptoms and forgot my annoyance at being woken up so early by him again. I felt sorry for him as I know how horrible it is to be vomiting. To Dillyn's surprise, my compassion faded after our conversation went like this:
Me: "If you have a few starchy foods it'll help absorb the stomach acids. Try and chew on some ice as well because you need to rehydrate."
Dillyn: "You can't treat the swine flu with ice."
Me: "How do you know it's swine flu?"
Dillyn: "It's a mixture between swine flu, bird flu, TB, the plague and Satan's flu. I'm sure of it. I can feel it."
Me: "Oh dear Lord, that sounds ever so serious! I sure do hope I make it back home in time for one last goodbye, Mr Self Diagnosis."
Dillyn: "Just please make sure they play Kendrick Lamar's Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe at my funeral. I can see the light Shan!"
So I just wanted to know from those of you who have dealt with some serious man flu sufferers, how do you do it?? How on Earth do you be compassionate and helpful without pointing out how dramatic they're being? I know Dill's a whole different case, but do any of you have victims of man flu in your life?

Lets Call This One Don't I Just Have The Sweetest Little Brother In The World?
 Liam had a photo shoot last week and while Clauds has to wait a few weeks to get the rest of the photos, this is just a sneak peak of the shoot. Sweet, isn't he? I can't wait to be reunited with this little monkey. He fills my heart!

Lets Call This One Hello!
Lately this little blog of mine had gained quite a few new readers and I just wanted to welcome every one of you! I'm so happy to have you here and I do hope you'll stay a while. And to those of you who keep coming back and reading what I have to say; THANK YOU! Your support means so much to me and I value every one of you. Go ahead, drop me an email or a comment, stalk me, tweet me a thousand times a day and let me get to know you as much as you're getting to know me. I love hearing from you so, so much!

I think that's all from me for this random little Hunter's Stew - I probably should try and get some sleep tonight but I hope you all have a beautiful day!
xx

No comments:

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.