Am I Pretty Enough?

I recently read an article by Latina Fatale titled "How To Talk To Little Girls."

The article deals with the idea of little girls (as well as us older girls) being overly concerned with our physical appearance. It explains how girls are starting to wear make up and develop eating disorders at a much younger age. The article then goes on to say how "twenty-five percent of young American women would rather win America’s next top model than the Nobel Peace Prize." Fatele explains how the way in which we as people speak to little girls plays a large role in encouraging and developing the above mentioned concerns. It's incredibly interesting and if you're keen to find out more about just how the way we speak to young ladies causes them to become overly obsessive over their bodies then you can pop over to this link and give it a read for yourself.
Source
 Personally, the whole idea of girls starting to wear make up at a younger age and the increase in eating disorders among tweens and teens is not a new concept to me. We learned about issues such as these throughout High School - I think it was their way of doing their little bit to ensure we don't become model-obsessed stick figures. I am sure you're all aware of it as well.

This article got me thinking about myself. I am a young woman. I absolutely love dressing up and doing my hair and make up. While I am more comfortable in a pair of sweat pants and a hoody, I honestly feel prettiest when I'm rocking a new shade of eye shadow or trying a new hairstyle.

But - yes, there's a but - I can do without the make up. I can do without the push up bras and the ever-painful plucking and tweezing, because I am truthfully so happy in my own skin.
No, I do not have the perfect body.
No, I am not at my goal weight and yes, I would prefer it if my eye brows were a little more co-operative and my teeth a little straighter.
No, I do not always like the way I look.
Yes, I can often be found complaining about this and that, but as of right now, I can confidently say that I am happy with who I am, physically.

I do not think I would be in this place with myself if it weren't for my family and friends who speak to me the way that little girls SHOULD be spoken to - well, according to Latina Fatale at least!

This brings me to what I'm grateful for on this day of June; I am grateful for those around me who constantly speak to me in the right way. You tell me you're proud of me, you lift me up when I'm down and you're more concerned with who I am as a person as opposed to who I am as just a body. I love you for that!

What do YOU think defines a woman's beauty? Personally, I believe Proverbs 31:25 sums it up pretty perfectly!
Source

5 comments:

  1. adore that verse. powerful post, Shannon!

    karissa
    kandkshaw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I not be zo proud of you my beautiful Twin - xxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet and I miss you massive amounts <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Shannon! I nominated you for a Leibster Award. There is more info on my blog. I love your grateful lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mae! My day has been made xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.