On Trying Not to Graze My Knee on the Way Down the Hill

October 26, 2015
I remember running down a really steep hill as a child. About a third of the way down the hill, momentum took over and before I knew it, I was going so fast that I had lost control of my legs. I knew if I stopped myself I would fall and most probably end up grazing a knee. I surrendered to whatever was going on, my feet feeling as though they were flying past my ears in full circles and before I knew it, I was at the bottom of the hill - safely and out of breath. I think it would be appropriate to compare my life right now to this memory of running down that hill. All of a sudden things are happening all too quickly.

For the most part of 2015, I've been waiting for this phase of life that I'm somehow already finding myself in. This is not a post about how I can't believe how quickly time has gone. This is a post about being so, so grateful to just be here, now. I knew the end of 2015 would bring about change - how could it not with the end of my degree approaching as well as the decision to move back to Natal having been made? All of a sudden I'm finding myself in the middle of the season I've been looking forward to for so long - wrapping up at Rhodes, moving into a new home and city and beginning a new chapter. I'm so beyond blessed that I'm certain I'm no where near even comprehending it.

My fourth and final term at Rhodes has come to an end before it even felt like it had begun. I think it goes down as one of the best ones yet. Weekends were filled with sleepovers, sunny days spent at the dam, camping alongside the Port Alfred marina, consuming crumpets, frozen yoghurt and making the most of our final days. My last week was not something I was expecting - filled with protests around the increase of tertiary fees. I found myself heading home for study leave a few days early because Rhodes was in complete academic shut down. I'm so proud of what we, as students, achieved over the last few days. I think each of us need reminding that we're all a part of something so much bigger than ourselves.

About being home for study leave... It's been an incredible few days and I'm so grateful that I have a few more here. If you've been hanging around these bloggy parts for a while you will know that I'm moving back to Natal at the end of this year to do my honours in Psychology. I'm moving into a house - Bramble Cottage - that my parents bought in 2009 but have been renting out for the last three years. I got home on Thursday and we spent the weekend at BC unloading furniture, watching the rugby and soaking up precious moments spent in that house after three years of not setting foot on the property. It was such a good time. It feels as though we've never even left and I'm so excited to make BC my permanent home until God decides to send me on new adventures. My overly-sentimental self loved letting everyone know just how cool it was that the last time I spent a night at BC was the night before my very first day as a first year at Rhodes. Then the first night after my last week of lectures of my degree was spent in BC. It's strange to think that throughout my whole time at Rhodes I never spent any time there. I'm so excited for next year. I think I'll move in this time next month - I've got a week of study leave and just under three weeks of exams. So, so surreal to think that I have less than a month at Rhodes.

On Friday my cousins came over to BC for lunch and I got to meet their deliciously squishy baby boy Bentley. He's the most chilled little guy you ever did meet.



His dad, Jarred, is my first cousin and our domestic helper Happy had us all in hysterics when she exclaimed that Jarred having a baby just couldn't be possible because it feels as though it was yesterday that him and I were playing in the garden at 9 years old. It's days like Friday that remind me that I'm not a child anymore. I love that I'm slipping into adulthood so comfortably that sometimes I don't even take notice. Jarred's wife, Cody, brought lemon meringue pie and milk tart from a farmer's market and we demolished the both of them after a lunch of bagels around our new dining room table that Dad and Clauds had picked out the day before. It's little details such as these that I make a point of remembering just because they make my heart so, so full. I smiled as I looked through the paint swatches I'd got from our Build It the day before, my mind running wild with all sorts of decor ideas that I want to get stuck into in the future. We had such a good time catching up - the last time we were together was January - that they decided to stay for dinner as well. Bridge and her boyfriend Dillon were there as well and knowing that Nic would be home the next day brought a smile to my face - having him home meant that all four of the siblings would be under the same roof for the first time in far too long.

The next day we decided to get out of the house a bit and do something different as a family - plus Dill. We went go-karting and got ice cream before spending the rest of the morning at the museum. I never thought I'd see my entire immediate family perusing through a museum with genuine interest. But these guys continue to surprise me daily. It was the best way to spend a Saturday morning. After failing dismally at trying to take a group selfie (Clauds says she's getting us a selfie stick for Christmas, Nic say's he'd really rather she didn't) Dill took one for the team and took about 6 photos of us all looking very touristy in our second home town.



Later that afternoon the grandparents and great granny Shirl arrived to see the house and the progress we'd made with moving in. We braaied and all watched the rugby. I love this family so much, I love that we're big and loud and busy and together.

Just when I thought that the weekend couldn't get any better, Sunday came around and we celebrated the birthday of Clauds' best friend/my second mom/the lady who's been there through it all - Lisa. This day spent with friends that have become family was so perfect it deserves a post of it's own. After we got home on Sunday night it was just my parents, Liam and I. I baked some banana bread and watched a movie with my parents. I took a split second to appreciate just how much I get on with them. I know not everyone is able to call their parents their best friends, but I am and I'm so grateful.

We're currently back at the farm and back in routine. This break was for the purpose of studying but after all the fun this weekend brought it began to feel more like a summer holiday. I quickly snapped back into reality and got a solid few hours of studying done so I'm feeling quite on top of things.

The days are going so quickly and I want to slow down and be present in each moment that this season of endings, changes and new beginnings brings. I don't know how I got so lucky. I don't know what I did to deserve this life I've been given, but I'm certainly not complaining.

1 comment:

  1. This post had me in tears Shan - so heartfelt and genuinely heartwarming. You are in an amazing phase of life and you are embracing it and making the most of it in every way possible. I am so proud of you and all that you have to offer to this world x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.