How To Save A Life

May 05, 2014
Well what do you know, another Monday it is. Usually I don't really mind Mondays as they aren't my busiest day by all means, but today marks the beginning of what I like to call Hell Month. It just seems that from today on out, I am busy, busy, busy. This month is full of assignments, tests, tutorial meetings as well as driving lessons. Next month I begin writing my exams too, and so I need to crack in as much studying as possible. My to-do list is a mile long, and to top it all off I woke up this morning feeling absolutely awful - I'm hoping this is just a 24-hour bug and nothing too serious. My point is, we're all extremely busy. But maybe you have four minutes to spare? Four minutes to set aside to potentially save someone's life...

I want to tell you all about this amazing online campaign that my sweet bloggy friend, Gaelyn has set up - DO YOUR BIT. The purpose of this campaign is to encourage people to register as bone marrow stem cell donors.

I have been a regular blood donor for about 4 years now and tomorrow it will be exactly two years since I put my name on the registry, because I knew that if one of my loved ones ever needed a second shot at life, I wouldn't hesitate to do my bit. The campaign encourages you to put your name on that registry in the hopes of saving someone's life, and so do I - I challenge each one of you reading this to register as a donor and then to challenge two friends to do the same.

Two years ago - these little tubes were all they needed from me.
Horrible quality, but a happy face knowing I could save someone's life.
 Registering to become a donor is a really simple process. All you need to do to get the process started is call the Sunflower Fund on 0800 12 10 82. Much like having blood tests done, 2 small tubes of blood are drawn from your arm, your blood will then be tissue typed and that's it, you're placed on the registry and are one step closer to saving someone's life. There aren't a lot of people that I know of that haven't been affected by cancer in some way or another and by placing your name on that registry, you are potentially giving someone a second shot at life. Many people are apprehensive to become a donor for fear of the pain - the extraction of stem cells does not hurt! In the past, it was a painful process because the stem cells were harvested from one's hip, but today it is a painless procedure as the cells are harvested from you by simply giving blood as if you were donating it. Please pop over to Do Your Bit's Facebook page as well as their Twitter account to find out more about the campaign or becoming a donor or to simply clear up any questions you may have.

With all that being said, today's Blog Everyday In May's prompt was "Give A How To Post". I may not have given you a recipe or a lesson on how to survive those late nights at your desk knowing you've got a hundred deadlines, but I have told you how to potentially save someone's life. All you need to do is visit Gae by clicking on the links about and begin the process of getting your name on that registry!


2 comments:

  1. An important message! The perfect 'how to'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fab thing to do and great post!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.