Happy Fake Birthday To Me (Hey?)

March 27, 2014
Life is so good right now. I mean, besides the fact that I haven't been able to fall asleep before 2am for the last week. And the fact that we had a 3am fire drill this morning. And the fact that I have 2 tests, 1 tutorial assignment, 1 film review and a 2000 word essay all due for early next week. But I mean, this time next week I will be landing in Durbs, I will be loading my luggage onto a trolley and I will be walking into the arms of my family after 2 months of not seeing them and that makes life pretty friggen fantastic. BUT - that's not what I'm here to talk about. There's something else that's contributing to the greatness of life.

I have to tell you all how great my friends are...

My birthday is on the 3rd of January. I love that my birthday always falls in the Christmas holidays - I've never had to spend my birthday at school or work like so many of my friends have to. There are a couple of negatives to having my birthday on this date though - I've never been able to spend my birthday with my group of friends. This is because I live so far away from most of them. In High School I boarded at a school 120km's away from my home, and now in Varsity, home is 900km's away and my friends come from all over the place: Greece, Jo'burg, Cape Town, Zimbabwe etc etc. So it's understandably a little difficult to get everyone in the same place at the same time. By the time we're all reunited back at Varsity again, it would have been just under 2 months since my birthday, and the excitement around it has worn off.

But today at lunch, I casually mentioned that next semester I would like to do something with everyone to celebrate my birthday. I shyly suggested going out for dinner or something - I wasn't sure whether people would think I was crazy or not for wanting to create a fake birthday. But being the incredible people that they are, they all jumped at this idea! They were a thousand times more excited than me and decided that my fake birthday should most definitely take place tomorrow. I objected and said we could do something small next term, but they wouldn't hear any of it! So apparently tomorrow, they're celebrating me. I cannot wait. I have no idea what they're planning, all I know is that Em has dragged Angie and Stace into town with her and she's got something up her sleeve. I love that they get excited for me and even though I have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow, it just feels so great to be made out to feel special.

It's sweet, yes? I'll be sure to pop back here next week to let you all know how turning 20 for the second time this year felt!
x

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!!!! Happy fake birthday for tomorrow xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.