"Five songs that speak to you or bring back memories."

I absolutely love music - it has always been a really large and important part of my life. I cannot play any musical instrument and I don't have a particularly good singing voice, but I am constantly singing when I am alone. I have always been an emotional person and so I pay special attention to the lyrics of a song. 

I have a very musical family - my Dad sings, plays the guitar, some piano and has even recorded and produced an album. My sister sings and like my Dad, plays the guitar and some piano. She has taken part in a number of talent shows. My brother plays the drums and the guitar. They are all exceptionally talented (I'm allowed to say so, they're my family ;) ) and I couldn't be more proud of them.

As you could imagine, coming from this very musical family, I am always surrounded by music. This brings me to the first of my five songs that speak to me or bring back memories.

1 - Jane S Piddy by Sixto Rodriguez.
Click here to listen to Jane S Piddy.
 This song will always bring back the best childhood memories. For as far back as I could remember, my Dad has played this song on his precious guitar. The chords of this song are so familiar to me and this song will always bring me comfort, purely because I associate my Dad with it. I'm not even sure that I like the song, but I love the memories it reminds me of and the places it takes me to.

2 - To Be With You by Mr Big
Click here to listen to To Be With You.
I can confidently say that this is my favorite song of all time. I love everything about it! I love the lyrics, I love the fact that I can belt it out in the show like an absolute pro and I love that no matter how many times I listen to it, it will never get old! I'm the type of girl who has a new favorite song every day, but I can definitely say that this baby will forever be my BEST best!


3 - Dance With Me by Jesus Culture
Click here to listen to Dance With Me.

Wow. Its difficult for me to explain how special this song is to me. I was lucky enough to see this amazing band live last year! As a Christian, I go through seasons where I feel as though I am living my life that would be pleasing in the eyes of the Lord, and other times I feel overwhelmed by my sin. There are times where I feel constantly surrounded by God's presence, and then there are very lonely times where I feel disconnected and abandoned by Christ. Just as Winter turns into Spring, so do the seasons of distance fade and I'm soon feeling good about my relationship with Jesus again. Throughout whatever season I find myself in, singing this song and praying the lyrics; "Won't You dance with me, oh Lover of my soul, to the song of all songs?" always brings me closer to God. Singing those lyrics is my asking God to remain close to me in whatever season I find myself in. It's truly a special song. You should definitely take a listen.

4 - Goodbye Earl by The Dixie Chicks
Click here to listen to Goodbye Earl.
This song is hilarious! I first heard it about 7 years ago - my step mom had their album on repeat for about 3 weeks. I found myself absolutely loving this song but I never thought that I would associate this particular memory with it - It was during the last couple of months of my last school year last year. I was in my best friend, Sarah's room with another one of our friends, Kerryn. We were hanging out and just enjoying being with each other. We must have consumed a huge amount of something sugary, because we were on such a high - it was wonderful! I think we knew that we only had a few more moments with one another before we each headed our separate ways into the big bad world. All of a sudden I started playing this song - accompanied by my fantastic honky tonk dance moves and my fake Southern accent. We were all in fits of hysterics and I will always smile and fondly remember that too-hilarious-for-words time whenever I listen to this song.

5 - Same Love by Ryan Lewis, Macklemore and Mary Lambert.
Click here to listen to Same Love.

This song does not necessarily speak to me or bring back any special memories and it is not one of my favorite. It does, however, send a really special message and it is for that reason that I think everyone should listen to it.

I have so many more songs that speak to me and send a special message to me - it was difficult to select just five. What are some of the songs that speak to you or hold special memories? Drop me a comment below, I'd love to hear from you and take a listen to some of yours! I hope you all have a really great Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post - it really is amazing how songs can bring back such memories! I love Goodbye Earl too haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.