Currently // March Edition and a Weekend Update

March 16, 2015
Before I began Third Year here at Rhodes, I knew that this year would be the most demanding and challenging of them all. After all, this is the last year of my undergraduate degree. The workload is definitely heavier - which I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was my timetable to work out the way it has - I'm extremely busy Monday through Wednesday, but after that I'm done! So essentially I have a four day weekend - which I'm not complaining about at all. I make sure I get assignments done on my free Thursdays and Fridays and this definitely takes some of the pressure off for the upcoming week.

This weekend was just what I needed - very relaxed and spent with my special friends.
I somehow found myself watching 3 hours worth of the 2011 Royal Wedding on YouTube on Thursday night after having left overs for supper and drinking copious amounts of green tea. It really was a wild night round these parts - I was asleep by 11pm.

Friday was extremely relaxed. It was a little cooler and more overcast than it has been lately. I love this kind of weather, especially when I don't have any homework to do so I can spend the day in bed with a book. The girls and I started off the evening by watching the Rhodes first team's first rugby match of the season. It was very festive - as is anything that Rhodents are involved in. It was so refreshing to do something different on a Friday night in Grahamstown. We then gate crashed a friend of a friend's pre-drinks at their digs which turned out to be a lot of fun. After a couple hours spent at the digs we moved onto Friars which was awful. I'm definitely getting over the whole club scene here in little old Grahamstown. The last thing I felt like was being bumped into by students (who were a considerable amount more tipsy than I was) in a sticky and smokey club. Thankfully I wasn't the only one feeling this way so the majority of our friend group left and were in bed by 12:30am.

Saturday as well as yesterday were spent catching up on some work, grocery shopping and cleaning the flat. At about 5pm last night 9 of us decided to head up to the Monument for a picnic and to watch the sunset. I think the Monument is one of my favorite places in Grahamstown. We set up a couple of blankets, munched on some yummy food whilst watching the sun set and then proceeded to chat about nothing in particular while star gazing. We then decided to head back to one of the digs where we had coffee and Easter eggs before saying goodnight to one another and heading back to our own homes.






This weekend was good for my soul. I needed to rest the way I did and each day I spend with these girls just reminds me how truly blessed I am to be surrounded by friends who love me and think I'm just dandy. All of a sudden though I somehow find myself here at Monday once again. How does that always happen so quickly? Before I realised how long this weekend recap was I thought I'd jump on board with the Currently Journaling Challenge so if you're still scrolling, you deserve a virtual Noddy badge because there's more. You don't mind though, do you? A lighthearted post always makes Mondays a little more bearable.

Currently, I am...

Watching // These Experience Life sermons/devotionals on relationships. Experience Life is a Texan church and I happened to stumble onto their YouTube channel last week sometime. I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm loving these 30 minute sermons. They're so relevant to me and where I'm at in my life right now. It feels really good to sit down in the evening and jot down some notes from these videos because I'm not involved in a church here in Grahamstown.

Reading // I have a whole stack of books that I managed to get on sale waiting for me on my desk. But unfortunately for now all my spare time is going towards my Anthropology readings that I have to do for my tutorial once a week. Definitely looking forward to the holidays so that I can have some time to get some real reading done.

Listening //  I've got James Bay's Hold Back The River on repeat. In fact anything of his has definitely been on repeat a lot lately. I also can't seem to get enough of Bethel Music's You Make Me Brave album, in particular this song.

Making //  The most of each day I have left here in Grahamstown. I realise that may sound a bit silly, considering it's still only March. But I came to the scary realization that I only have 8 months left in this town and with these friends of mine. That's including holidays. If the way these last couple of months have flown by is any indication of how quickly the next few will, then time really is running out. More on my feelings about all of this and my future plans coming soon...

Feeling // So at peace. So content. I can't really explain it, but I just feel as though I'm in such a good place in my life right now. I'm very blessed and very happy at the moment.

Planning // All sorts of boring varsity stuff. I have a ton of assignments coming up that I need to start planning for before this term ends and I head home. Can you believe that I've been in my little flat for a month already and that it's just under two weeks before I head home? I can't. It feels like just yesterday that I arrived back in Grahamstown and now the first term is very nearly over.

Loving // Getting back into the swing of things with this blog of mine. I've really missed writing regularly. It feels good to be back.

What are some of the things that you're currently up to lately? I'd love to hear all about it. Have a blessed week everyone xx

1 comment:

  1. Loving your updates and writing my Shan - what an awesome timetable too!
    I had a similar one in 1st year - Mon - Thurs mornings and fridays off!
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.