The Day Soup Taught Me A Lesson

August 05, 2014

Today was a good day. To be honest with you, I didn't know if it was going to be. Lately the days have been greeting me with the potential to go any which way. They've been unpredictable. Unpredictability is something that doesn't sit well with this old soul who happens to thrive off of routine and of being in control.

Some days are perfectly fine. Easily forgotten. 
While others are heavy.

I've been dealing with a lot of stuff recently. And that's exactly what it is. Just stuff... 
Nothing is completely wrong or heart breaking, and yet not everything is perfectly wonderful right now. It's just stuff that is weighing me down and getting to me. I'll definitely write about it purely because that is necessary for my healing. But as for sharing it on this space of mine, I am undecided mostly due to the fact that a lot of it is simply not my story to tell.

But today, today was a good day. 
My lectures were actually incredibly interesting.
 I caught up with my brother, Nic. We spoke about his geography and math tests and agreed that it would be nice to get off of the school property tomorrow, even if it was only for his orthodontist appointment. 
I wrote a test that went a lot better than it could have gone. I knew my stuff and strangely, that warmed my heart. The even stranger thing was that I looked back on my test paper and the fact that I managed to keep my handwriting consistently neat for the entire 6 pages warmed my heart a little more. 

Then, I ended off a busy day by having a little dinner date with Em.We chose one of the newer bistros that opened at the beginning of this year. 
We sat down opposite each other and debated whether we should ask for a wine list or not. We settled on a Diet Coke and Cranberry juice instead. Our waiter was a tall, well spoken boy that both Em and I recognised from a number of our lectures. We then giggled over how small Grahamstown was, noting that we could sit behind someone in a 10am lecture and then have him serve your meal to you at a 7pm dinner date. 

Much to my delight, the sweet sound of Coldplay wafted through the room the entire time we were there. I love Coldplay so much. 

I decided on the butternut soup while Em got the Alfredo. That soup was some of the most delicious I've ever had, but my goodness did I want the pasta. And the pizza. And the everything else as long as it's smothered in cheese. I'm staying strong though, and each day it's getting a little easier to say no to those carbs.

The people around us laughed and clinked their wine glasses as Chris Martin mouthed some of my favourite lyrics, lights will guide you home. Em and I fell into one of those comfortable silences that come with being friends for 7 years. I looked down into my steaming bowl of orange deliciousness, and as I lifted my soup spoon and allowed my wrist to hover somewhere between my mouth and my bowl, I paused. And it was in this moment, staring into that soup, that I realised that everything is going to be ok. I am going to be ok. No matter what tomorrow may bring, I will be fine.

It was the perfect way to end off just another Tuesday in this tiny town that may or may not be creeping into my heart.

4 comments:

  1. Loved this post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be ok - your writing and this sweet blog of yours is going to keep you going. Sending you love and prayers sweet Shan and may the Lord guide you through this testing time in your life x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always leaving the sweetest words Cals. I really do appreciate them x

      Delete

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.