Who Am I To Complain?

November 18, 2013
Via
I have 3 exams and 2 weeks left of my first year. I fly home at the end of the month and I'm heading straight from the airport to a beautiful beach house for a little time away with my family and some friends. I'm excited for this break - it has been a long year and I can feel myself beginning to want to punch people in the face simply for breathing I can feel myself wearing out. I'm trying not to focus too much on the fantastic holiday that is so near because I have SO much that I need to get done before then.

I still have three major exams to get through and I have to pack up my entire Res room into a couple of little boxes that will go into storage here in Res while I'm away for 3 months. That's a whole year's worth of living stuff into three tiny boxes. 

This wouldn't be a problem if I were driving home as I could just load up my Dad's boot with all my stuff, but the luggage restriction that comes with my flight is really not making me a happy lass. I need to take all my clothing home and I'm only allowed to fly with 20kg's. Are you beginning to see how this is a problem for me? I'm trying to see what I really need to take home, what I won't miss for three months and what items of clothes etc. I can donate. More problems arise such as these; I'm running out of products such as shampoo and washing powder but I'm still here for 2 full weeks. So do I buy the stuff I usually buy and then have to throw away half empty shampoo bottles or do I load my Pick 'n Pay basket with 3 travel sized bottles of shampoo?

How absolutely ridiculous do I sound? If I'm honest with myself, these aren't real problems at all and who am I to complain about this? I'm acting spoiled, when I should really just be thankful that I am able to hop on a quick flight home instead of having to drive the 10 hour trip. I should be thankful that I am able to get home at all - not just for the holiday, but I should remember that I was home a little over two weeks ago just because I wanted to be. There are students here who don't know if they will be able to get home because some simply can't afford the bus ticket or just don't have the petrol money. What's even more heartbreaking is the fact that some students don't have homes to return to - homes filled with love and support and comfort. I'm complaining about having too much stuff when there are so many students who would kill to have the problem of trying to turn 40kg's of clothes into 20kg's

Who am I to complain?

No comments:

Thank you so much for getting in touch and for your sweet words, questions and comments. I reply to your comment directly on this post, so make sure to check back here xx

Powered by Blogger.